We strongly encourage that every family in the church have at least one night each week devoted to building strong bonds, faith in God, and treasured memories that will affect not only your children but generations to come. -Ron and Linda Brumley Elder and Women's Ministry Leader from the Seattle Church of Christ.
Ten things to keep in mind when planning your family devotionals:
1. Be regular, weekly, scheduled (i.e., 7-8pm, everyone knows what to expect). Not too long
; 20/30 minutes, plus game time.
2. Have lots of fun; laugh and be happy.
3. Involve everyone, youngest to oldest.
4. Plan ahead. Both mom and dad and kids give input.
5. Vary each week. No ruts!
6. Ask open-ended questions ("What do you think?" "How do you feel about that?" Why do you feel that's important?" "What else?" "Whats your opinion on that?" "Why do you feel that way?", etc.).
7. Sing, pray, share "good news", play games, cards, discussions on various topics, etc.
8. Use the Bible each devo. Everyone, even youngest, should have their own Bible.
9. Include other families in your family devos.
10. Turn off the TV, phone, computer and all electronic games. It's time to focus on the family.